Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Legally Blond vs Traffic Infraction

The average adult laughs about 6 times per day. My goal in life is to have huge laugh lines when I am older so I laugh maybe 6 times per hour... at the least... So even when I was at court today I made it a goal to lighten up the mood and laugh, as long as it was appropriate.

On March 17th, I had a genius idea to go back to college! I decided to enroll at a local community college, since I was still trying to catch up on previous school loans. On my way to the campus I passed by a high school that had a speeding camera by it to catch people who break the law of the land. The light was not flashing, so I continued my speed of 35 mph. On my way back home I passed by this school again, and did not observe the lights flashing. A month later, I received a nice picture of the back of my car.

At court, things where going normal. You had the people who didn't have insurance who wouldn't get insurance complaining, and then the 16 year old kids speeding and just trying to get it reduced. Then it was my turn.

The judge called my step fathers name, and when I stood up, he immediatley said I did not look like a male. I told him I was representing my step father since I was the driver at the time of the infraction. He asked for my name, and had me tell the story about March 17th. Then I took the oath. He asked me all those blah blah blah questions like if I was the owner of the car, and the relationship to my step father, and etc. Then he asked me how I was driving my fathers car. I responded "very carefully." Everyone started giggling and I knew I accomplished my goal. Then the judged asked why my step father did not show for court. I explained since I was the driver at the time, I felt like it was my responsibility to show up for court and not my step father. At that moment the judge said my ticket was dismissed, and to tell my step father that he was raising a brilliant lawyer. I thanked him and told him I would look into that field of study while I am at school.

I am not sure what made the judge dismiss it, but I feel that because I took responsibilty for this case and presented it in a maturely. Or maybe it was my humor, and not some sob story. Either way I think the judge was able to see that I was responsible citizen and trusted me that I would not commit an infraction like this again. I am very grateful for him having mercy on the situation.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Stephanie -- I just found your blog (thanks to Facebook. I wanted to read about your dismissed ticket. What a blessing! Now, drive carefully always! haha

    ReplyDelete